Saturday, January 12, 2013

Stackable Box Snowman

I absolutely love the winter time.  One of my favorite decorations to have around the house is snowmen.  There are so many designs and cute faces on all of the decorations.  I wanted to have a snowman decoration that I could have in my home for the entire winter season and not just for Christmas time.

I made this stackable box snowman which was very easy and inexpensive, and it has held up for several years with kids playing with it as well.



Here is how you can make your own snowman!

Supplies:
Stackable paper mache boxes (4)
Acrylic craft paint (White, Black, Orange)
Extreme Glitter Paint
Glamour Dust
Fleece
Buttons (3)
Small cone styrofoam
Black Pom-Poms
Ribbon




The biggest part of this project is painting each paper mache box in the white acrylic paint.  I painted the lower three boxes with 3 coats to get a bright white color.  While the last coat was wet, I covered each box in the glamour dust by sprinkling it on the wet paint.  I used a dry paint brush to spread out any areas of concentrated glitter.
While the white boxes were drying, I painted 2 coats of black on the top box for the hat.  Once dried, I used the extreme glitter paint in silver and painted one coat on the hat.



I cut a piece of narrow ribbon to wrap around the box just below the lid (the box will sit upside down on the snowman).  I then hot glued the ribbon on to the hat.

Now that the base of the snowman is done, it is time to decorate.   I cut the pointy end of the cone shaped styrofoam to form the nose of the snowman.  This was then painted orange.  


Using hot glue, I glued the pom-poms on for the eyes, glued the orange nose and then drew the mouth with a sharpie marker.  I also glued on each button, one on the middle piece and 2 on the bottom piece. Finally, I wrapped the fleeced around the middle boxes lid and tied it to form a scarf.  The fleece was then hot glued on to the lid.   

Once everything was dry, each box stacked on to each other and the snowman was formed!


This fun snowman has been used for props in pictures, as a decorations, and sometimes a toy!  He has held up well and always puts a wintery touch the house!!

Blessings,



No comments:

Post a Comment